Saturday, October 20, 2012

To Reminisce
















Nylon has become one of my favorite magazines. I find Vogue, frankly, intimidating with it's enormous articles about issues that a) don't have any relevance to my interest in fashion and b) these articles are too long, let's be honest, I'm really picking up the magazine because I am drawn by the photos not necessarily because I am itching to read the 3 page articles within. So back to my earlier point, Nylon is a favorite of mine. The range of articles in it is so different from any other magazine. They include everything from fashion to music, to photography and even books.
So here in lies my reason for writing this....I recently came across an article about Maine. I had to do a doubletake. I wouldn't ever describe Maine as cosmopolitan with sophisticated people like you might see in NYC, so to read of it in a magazine such as Nylon, if possible, made me like the magazine even more!
I have spent my summer's in Maine since I can remember. It is on a tiny island on the Casco Bay that my happiest summer memories have occurred. My time in Maine has given me appreciation for the calm and the quiet. I truly had to learn how to do nothing and enjoy the tranquillity of life and summer days. My summer days consisted/consists of bike rides, picnics,  and reading (ALOT of reading). I could probably blame Maine for my excessive love of reading, but I'm not complaining!! So it was this article in Nylon that made me reminisce about my summers in Maine. Because of the time I have spent in Maine,  my first thoughts of the state go way beyond the typical ideals of lobsters, portland, woopie pies (yummm) and ferry's, though I do indulge in all of those at some point and time.